I’ve had the unique experience of living in each position and in every type family (OK, I’m sure there are more but I think I’ve covered most bases).
- I started my life in a nuclear family consisting of my mother, my father, my sister, and I.
- At age 9, my parents divorced and I resided in the care of a single mother.
- When I was 15, my mother was killed in a car accident and I went to reside with my father who I had seen sporadically for the previous 6 years. My sister, who was no longer a minor, didn’t come with me. Thus began my existence with a single father.
- He later remarried and I found myself treading water with a step-mother and 2 step-sisters.
- At age 22, I got married to my children’s father who had a child, and I played the role of step-mother. We went on to have 2 daughters of our own.
- We divorced after 5 years and I dabbled in single mother territory (I got really good at baby furniture assembly).
- After 3 years of saying I would never get married again, I finally agreed to marry my next husband (you can’t blame him for being persistent, I am super fantastic). Thus beginning yet another blended family.
- Now, after ended marriages, numerous fights, and compromises, I’m sure it’s just not for me. However, my daughters and I have never been happier or healthier. Life is good, and thank goodness, stable. While being single mother may not have been a life goal, I sure am loving it!
I figure with this kind of history, I must have something to offer others navigating these often shitty life situations. I am a therapist, and hold a Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling. I’d like to think I’ve seen it all, but every time I think that, someone invents new and improved ways to be an idiot and adds to my content of what NOT to do (but hey, thanks for the job security). I don’t have all the answers and those I have will be delivered with what I can only assume will be very little tact. Regardless of delivery, I’m here for you. Enjoy!